Adapted from Honest Food by Hank Shaw
HOW TO MAKE MUSTARD with Minus 8 Vinegar
Prep Time: 12 hours
• 6 tablespoons mustard seed
• ½ cup mustard powder, about 50 grams
• ½ cup water or beer
• 3 tablespoons Minus 8 vinegar (Veget8, L8 Harvest, Dehydr8)
• 2 teaspoons salt
• 1 teaspoon ground turmeric, to make the mustard very yellow
• 2 tablespoons honey, or more to taste
• ¼ cup minced fresh herbs (really any kind)
1 Grind the whole mustard seeds for a few seconds in a spice or coffee grinder, or by hand with a mortar and pestle. You want them mostly whole because you are using mustard powder, too.
2 Pour the semi-ground seeds into a bowl and add the salt and mustard powder. If using, add one of the optional ingredients, too.
3 Pour in the water or beer, then stir well. When everything is incorporated, let this sit for up to 10 minutes. The longer you let it sit, the mellower the mustard will be. When you’re ready, pour in the vinegar of your choice.
4 Pour into a glass jar and store in the fridge. It will be runny at first. Don’t worry, it will thicken up overnight. Wait at least 12 hours before using. Mustard made this way will last a year in the fridge.